Generally when people consider getting a tattoo they first pick the design and then talk to the tattoo artist about the best body part for that particular design. But this trend seems to have changed recently with more and more people choosing a tattoo design for a specific body part. This just shows the rise of the humble tattoo to the pinnacle of fashion. But when you want to get a tattoo on a particular part of your body it is good to remember that not all body parts are created equal. That is the skin on every part of your body is different and depending on the thickness and smoothness of the skin the ink will create a different effect on different parts. For instance tattoos on part of the body that have a creased skin like elbows, ankles, knees will fade out. Also the lines created on this part have a tendency to spread out. Having said that the favorite body parts to get tribal design tattoos on are:
1. Lower Back tattoo: This is considered to be a very sensuous spot to get a tattoo. It adds appeal to a woman's sensuality and mystique because the tattoo is only for the eyes of a lover and hidden from the rest of the world. Good designs to be combined with a tribal design for a lower back tattoo include a ribbon like Jessica Alba, a fairy like Britney Spears, a small flower, a heart or even a tiger like Angelina Jolie.
2. Armband tattoo: This was once the most popular spot to get a tattoo. It became particularly famous after Pamela Anderson sported the barbwire design as an armband. The tribal arm band designs are particularly popular. Other famous designs include knot and wave motives combined with celtic patterns, cross, skull, and many more.
3. Wristband tattoo: This is a favorite among women. The tattoos look very feminine and delicate and are a fashion statement of sorts. Popular designs are snake or dragon encircling the wrist, and knot motives combined with small flowers, cartoon, fairy, dragonfly or heart. The best part about these tattoos is that they can be conveniently hidden under a wristwatch or you can proudly show it off as a cool and permanent 'bangle' or 'bracelet'.
4. Arm tattoo: Very popular among men, see David Beckham and Anouk. The best tribal designs for the arm (upper, lower, forearm and even shoulder or sleeves) are usually black and bold design with abstract motives or words in Sanskrit or Japanese which can be even turned into an entire Japanese inspired sleeve.
5. Ankleband tattoo: This is another favorite spot with the ladies. An ankleband tattoo looks particularly sexy when coupled with a short skirt and high heels. You can go for ankleband tribal tattoo and combine it with delicate feminine designs like chains, dolphins, flowers, stars, angel wings, butterflies, and so forth or be adventurous and go for the black and bold tribal designs. Celebrities who spot ankle tattoos are Christy Turlington and Stephanie Seymour.
6. Leg tattoo: This is a favorite among men though there are many women who have upper leg or thigh tattoos as well. Popular tribal designs include black and bold with abstract motives.